Monday, May 9

In the kitchen: mayonnaise

This is one of The Kid's favourites. When he first tasted it he said, "Mom. Did you actually MAKE this?" I said yes, and he replied, "It's the BEST thing EVER."

I was shocked. I mean, what kid notices what mayo tastes like?! Maybe I have a wee chef in the making. :)

If you've never made mayo, go do it. Now. It's that good. 

Homemade mayonnaise
This is the basic recipe, but you can fancy it up any way you like. Capers are good, so is tarragon, and I imagine dill would be yummy, too.

1 large egg
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 -2 tsp lemon juice

Place everything but the oil and lemon juice in the blender or processor container. Process 5 seconds in the blender; 15 seconds in the processor.

With the motor running, add 1/4 cp of the oil, *one drop at a time* (and I am NOT kidding about that part). With the motor still running, add the remaining oil, pouring in a fine drizzle at first, and then in a thin, steady stream.


When all the oil has been added, stop the motor. Add lemon juice to your taste (personally, I prefer it with no lemon at all) and stir. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment